ENSJ Anti Racist Anti Bias One Day Teaching Conference
Saturday May 3, 2014
Keynote Curtis Acosta 9:00 am to 10:15
Mr. Acosta is a veteran high school teacher in Tucson and he has developed and taught Chican@/Latin@ literature classes for the district's acclaimed Mexican-American Studies (MAS) program. His classes have been profiled nationally, appearing in The New York Times, CNN and the Los Angeles Times as well as the Daily Show.
The Conference Program is now available to be downloaded.
Click on the green button to get the final copy of the Conference Program and begin planning your conference experience.
SESSION 1: 10:30-11:45
1. "Resisting Superman: The Fight to Sve Public Education"
Presenters: Ingrid Henry-Walker, Byron Sigeho, and Kerry Kretchmar
2. "Same Hate New Target: The Current Climate of Islamophobia and America's History with Other Minority Communities" Presenter: Janan Najeeb
3. "Collaborative Classroom: Murals Teach Us to Work Together"
Presenter: Shannon Molter
4. "Supporting Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) "
Presenter: Youth Panel
5. "With Liberty and Books for All: Building Community Through Reading and Responding"
Presenters: Susan Hersh and Amy Miller
6. "Empowering English Language Learners: Using Cultural Pedagogy with ELL Students"
Presenter: Tatiana Joseph
7. "Wisconsin Act 31: Understanding the Law and Connecting Resources"
Presenter: Mark Denning
8. "We Shall Not Succumb: Developing Grassroots Curriculum From the Ground Up"
Presenters: Chicago Grassroots Curriculum Taskforce
9. "Community Youth Groups Working for Social Justice"
Presenters: Youth Panel
SESSION 2: 12:30-1:45
1. "Our Voice Our World:
Culturally Responsive Pedagogy in Action" Presenter: Curtis Acosta
2. "Positive Classroom Climates: Empowering Youth, Managing Conflicts"
Presenters: Tara Serebin and Kathleen Knudson
3. "A People's Art History of the United States"
Presenter: Nicolas Lampert
4. "Revolutionary Literacy: Teaching and Learning Through Counter Narratives"
Presenter: J. Suzette, Ph.D.
5. "We Shall Not Succumb: Developing Grassroots Curriculum From the Ground Up"
Presenters: Chicago Grassroots Curriculum Task Force
6. "Blurred Lines of English Language and Social Studies"
Presenters: Kristina Kaljo and Tracy McAteer
7. "Living Your Social Justice: Lessons in Politics"
Presenter: Mandy Wright
8. "Our World, Their Lies: American Indians and Debunking the Myth of the Bering Strait Theory and Other Fallacies"
Presenter: Darren Thompson
SESSION 3: 2:00-3:15
1. "Viva Ethnic Studies: Intellectual Freedom in Your Classroom"
Presenter: Adriana McCleer
2. "Let's Make a Zine!"
Presenters: Milo Miller and Stephanie Schneider
3. "Wake Up! Smell the Oppression? You Can Interrupt It!"
Presenters: Martha Barry and Nikotris Perkins
4. "Trans*forming Your Teaching: Gender Justice in the Classroom"
Presenters: Brian Juchems and Stacy Mallette
5. "Firing the Canon: Promoting
Culturally Conscious Literature in the K-12 Classroom"
Presenters: Elizabeth Pearce and Dr. Mary Fisher
6. "Lost Ladies of Color: Weaving Women Back into the Curriculum"
Presenter: Erica Southworth
7. "Supporting Victims of Sexual Violence While Ending the Rape Culture"
Presenter: Santera Michels